James 3:17-18 But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all PURE; then peaceloving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and GOOD FRUIT, impartial and sincere. Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness.
Tithing| Sewing the Wrong Seeds
There are many arguments about tithes and offerings. As a truth seeker, I have noticed that whenever there is much controversy in regards to a certain topic it is always necessary to look at a few things:
- Why is there controversy?
- What agenda does this controversy serve? In other words what agenda can clearly be seen on each side/s of the argument?
- What does the bible say or what example did Jesus give in his gospel?
The question in this blog is, should I tithe? Should I give offerings?
The answer is…yes and no. Let me explain.
Reasons Why it’s WRONG to give Tithes & Offerings
- #1 When your heart doesn’t want to give tithes and offerings you should keep them in your wallets. God is not joyful about offerings that are given in regret, hesitation, or contempt.
Example: Your husband or wife comes home from work. You are beyond excited because today is your birthday and you are looking forward to the gift that you know that your loved one is going to give to you. Your spouse comes through the door, glances over to you and without a word tosses your gift at you. They then grudgingly climb up the stairs to change while grumbling under their breath,” I hate spending my money on nonsense, I can think of a dozen other things my money could of been spent on instead.”
Now let me ask you something. Did that gift make you feel good? Are you still excited about receiving your gift? Did your spouse’s actions bring you joy? My guess is probably not and this is the same lack of joy and indifference that God feels when your tithes and offerings are given in this manner. So much so that you would have been better off not giving it in the first place. We were made in God’s image, so why do we feel like God does not have feelings?
- #2 When your tithes are not sewing a good seed you are held accountable for contributing to the corruption of the church. You are, in essence, held responsible for every wrong thing that your church uses your tithes and offerings for when you are aware of these facts. When you surpass reason and logic and continue to give when you know and are fully aware that every dime of your money is not going where it is supposed to be going which is, uplifting the children of God, helping the fatherless and the widows, paying a modest and appropriate wage to your church leaders, building up the church, and spreading the gospel of God, you are held accountable. If you were somehow not aware of your churches misuse of funds, which could also be a factor, you are responsible in diligently searching the scripture and asking God to correct you. You are also responsible for being proactive in the activities of your church.
Would you give a family member a significantly costly loan without first asking them how they will use these funds along with a plan to repay you? Would you invest your life’s savings into a business venture or investment stock you know nothing about? The same diligence that you use in worldly financial obligations should be the same diligence, if not more so, that is used in Godly financial obligations.
- #3 When your tithes are used for extravagances and continuously foolish investments by your pastor and the elders you are also held responsible for the theft of God’s money. Spending millions of dollars on jets, designer clothing, jewelry, and costly relics is a big no no and scripture can be found in regards to this matter throughout the entire bible. With the overabundance of the Bible and the endless articles speaking of the truth all over the internet today, it is your responsibility to seek the truth and compare the teachings of your church with what is written in the bible. Just as ignorance is not a defense in the United States Law it is also not a defense in the laws of God. You are expected to diligently seek the truth and pray for guidance regarding these things. If you have been doing these things unknowingly you should stop right away and seek the true house of the Lord to pay your tithes and offerings. You will know a good church by the fruits of it’s harvest, by the fruits of the spirit. The pastor and the church should be compared to these fruits of the spirit which are love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, gentleness, self control, goodness, and faithfulness. It is also important to look at the character of Jesus which was wise, meek, humble, and lowly. This doesn’t mean that the pastor should be dirt poor but he should not be driving luxury vehicles and living in mansions. Compare your religious leader’s lifestyles side by side with a Corporate CEO and a working middle class person. Ask yourself which one does your pastor or church more closely resemble?
Many pastors have extravagances that can be sold for a price and given to the poor. The Vatican estate and the gold within is worth well over 8 billion dollars. If this estate was sold it could support more than 49,950 single family homes for 2+ years.
The sale of a luxury car and a 3 million dollar mansion can support the entire living expenses of 152.5 single family homes for a year.
God’s people should demand liquidation of assets and for God’s money to be returned to the works that they were intended for.
Reasons Why it is RIGHT to Give Tithes & Offerings
- #1 When you love the Lord and desire to be obedient and you want to give from your heart this is when you should give tithes and offerings. As you grow stronger in your faith and God has began to fill your heart with the Spirit of God you will WANT to give to the church. You will cheerfully offer your time and resources to helping the widows, the fatherless, and the less fortunate. You will want to make offerings to projects that uplift God’s people and that help share the gospel to the world. You will want to volunteer your time to helping others or to talking to people about Jesus and the Bible. Do not worry if you have not come to this feeling of cheerful giving yet. Pray for God to pour his Spirit out on you so that your desires align with God’s desires for you and for others. This could happen immediately or it could take some time. The closer you hold to God the closer he will hold to you. Mind you, while you are not paying your tithes you are actively stealing from God every time you receive wages and do not give 10% to the house of the Lord.
Leviticus 27:32 And concerning the tithe of the herd, or of the flock, even whatsoever passeth under the rod, the tenth shall be holy unto the Lord.
Malachi 3:8 Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.
Luke 18:12 I fast twice in a week, I give tithes of all that I possess.
Hebrew 7:5 And verily they that are sons of Levi, likewise who receive the office of the priest hood, have a commandment to take the tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham.
Matthew 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, but have OMITTED the weightier matters of the law, judgement, mercy, and faith: these ought to have done, and not leave the other undone.
Everything that we own, every dollar that we make, every work that we have done under the sun is done with a lease of the property which is held by God. A tenth of what you earn is Holy and by obeying this law you can look forward to the 90% of what remains of your income being blessed and more than sufficient. Don’t you trust what God has said on this matter?
Deuteronomy 28:12 The Lord will open the heavens, the storehouse of his bounty, to send rain on your land in season and to bless all the work of your hands. You will lend to many nations, but will never need to borrow from none.
You can be assured that if you knowingly pay your tithes irresponsibly to a church which teaches false doctrine you will not receive this promise.
- #2 When the evidence of the good works your church puts forth is evident and crystal clear. As a member of the church it is important to be aware of the outreach and the evangelical mission of your church, the costs that are involved, and to have access to quarterly reports that tell you specifically what the needs of your church are and what percentage of tithes and offerings are going to which project. Another important thing to be aware of is the success of these programs. Questions you need to ask yourself are: Are these programs bringing people to God? Are these programs fulfilling the need or accomplishing the goals that they were originally intended by it’s original mission? Are these outreach programs managed well? Can you and your congregation clearly see the good fruits of these programs or outreaches within your community or abroad? Are there suspicions or controversies surrounding these programs or the churches uses and management of these program funds?
- #3 When the good word and the good fruits of your pastor and congregation as a majority have visible, crystal clear evidence of putting forth good fruits, good works, and a good Spirit of God.
#3-a Notice your pastor. Here is the big one! Is he kind, joyful, gentle, demonstrates self control and sound wisdom? Is his personal and family life in order? Is he actively participating in sins such as adultery, theft, physical violence, or an aggressive, hostile, or racist behavior? Does he wear expensive clothing, suits, and shoes. Is his jewelry and other accessories costly and excessive? Is his car, home, and other materialistic possessions excessive and overly expensive. A good Christian, a biblical pastor will live modestly, not only because this is an example of our Lord Jesus but he would do it because in his heart he would know how important his role was and how important it is not to cause his congregation to stumble or think twice about the sincerity of his office. If he in any of his history as an ordained spiritual leader had engaged in highly questionable actions such as criminal or highly immoral activities and he has not stepped down or relieved himself as unworthy to continue to be an example of a LEADER under God you can almost with 100% certainty know that he is not of God and the Spirit it not in him.
Do not confuse nor justify these actions as human error in that every man makes mistakes. Although this is true and we know that God will forgive us all, if your pastor has not repented from any transgressions in EVERY WAY THERE IS TO REPENT AND BE REFORMED and has not made a 360 degree turn into righteousness he should be asked to step down or you should no longer support this church. Even Solomon a great king and a chosen one of God lost his seat as the king when transgressing the law of God. Why? Because he was not giving a good example to the people and it was causing the children of God to stumble. Because Solomon brought idols, apostacy, as well as a coveting Spirit into the land of God. The pastor, in the love of God and his congregations should voluntarily step down if he truly cared about the sheep and their well being in a spirit of repentance and respect for God.
- #4 When doctrine that your pastor and church is teaching is the sound, biblical word of God. Many pastors today and dating all the way back to the beginning of the church have made this same mistake, over, and over, and over again. The word of God is the Bible and many of the teachings of Jesus are not that popular in our society at all. The ministry is not a popularity contest. The ministry is not a new media machine to feed you want you want to hear according to your wordly lusts and desires. The word of God is for correction of the unholy and to divide the flock of Jesus from the flock of the world. There are numerous topics in the Bible that are extremely unpopular and controversial among every church in the world. If your pastor has resolved to feeding you what you want to hear other than what God wants you to hear this is very dangerous, quite literally a matter of life or death. Here are some questions to ask yourself about the doctrines of your church. Does the church go by the Bible strictly or are there uses of other books and traditions that are heavily incorporated into your churches beliefs? Does your church talk to you about the ten commandments? Does your church prophesy or discuss the 3 end tiem messages of the Angels? Does your church believe in the basic principles of the bible? Does your church put an emphasis on prosperity preaching and “double blessings” or “name it and claim it” or other popular slogans promoting materialism and consumerism? Will your church spend the first 30 minute of the sermon soliciting money from you and passing around the offerings plate several times? Does your church condemn you or make you feel bad about not giving them your money? Is there an over abundance of drama, gossip, sexual promiscuity, adultery, and crime within your congregation continuously?
Keep in mind that no church is perfect. BUT there is a distinct difference between having a few rotten apples and having an entire congregations filled with mostly rotten apples. When your pastor and the church invite in doctrines and traditions of men or they extort money from the congregation for personal gain, they invite in the devil to rule their house. You will never see good fruits come forth from a church and pastor with these characteristics. NEVER. You may feel a short term euphoria or receive false blessings of material possessions but this will always be followed by a spirit of restlessness and doom and the euphoria will never be consistent causing double mindedness and blinding you spiritually.
Please realize also that the devil was once the most powerful and beautiful Angel in all of heaven. He was the Sun of the morning and a musician. He slick talked 1/3 of God’s angels to following him. Satan also has supernatural powers on earth to bring blessings and curses and destruction. Notice Satan’s specific skills. These are the areas the devil will almost always use to tempt you.
LUCIFER was the sun of morning- WORSHIP OF SUN GODS- SUNDAY WORSHIP
LUCIFER was a great musician- THE EVIL NATURE OF MOST MUSIC-BASS DRUMS
LUCIFER was beautiful-COSMETICS- VANITY- UNGODLY FASHION- SEXUALITY
LUCIFER was a con artist- CULTS-SALES TECHNIQUES-SLICK TONGUE-TRICKERY
LUCIFER was jealous & wanted God’s position- THEFT-MANIPULATION-COVETNESS
I am not saying that all of the people within the congregation are bad. What I am saying is that if you have not felt the Holy Spirit, the fruits of peace and joy and that is what you are looking for you will NEVER find it in these sorts of churches. Why? Because if you are a true child of God, God knows this. God will never let your heart be settled in an environment that is not healthy for you. God will NEVER let your mind and heart be at peace when you are listening to false doctrine.
It is also important to realize that the still, calm little voice that you hear in the back of your mind telling you that something is wrong…will not plead with you forever. It is important to walk in the light while you have it lest darkness befall you and you become lost. Think it can’t happen to you? Take a long hard look at all of the mega churches in the world. Take a look at a person like Hitler. Take a look at the elite of the world. If it happened to them it can and will happen to you if you do not choose light.